I have a serious problem with the term “follower” as I stated in my post of 31/5/2014. Here’s WHY.
Perhaps “follower” translates differently in other countries? For me “follower” is a bit too close to “stalker” or “member of a very odd cult”.
Therefore, armed with a thesaurus I have made a list of alternative names for people “who like my blog and read it regularly” instead of that “f” word.
NOW I must add a disclaimer. For all the word purists out there, I am aware that not all the words below equate to the “f” word. I’ve chucked in a few I like, as I have poetic license.
Follower – we could have:
- supporter football fan
- adherent way to strict – NOT the right blog
apostle, devotee, disciple, no, no, no!
- fan quite like this but as I am not in a boy band a bit misleading/also have you ever seen the film Misery? Look what his biggest fan did
- pupil I work in a school – so… no Conclusion: None of these
A friend came up with Pilgrims or Roamers due to the idea of this being a journey to blogging.
As I first thought she said aromas (ensuing a debate on just how smells/journeys are connected) no.
- Pilgrims – I actually liked. It hints of Chaucer: Canterbury Tales, bawdy stories, interesting people, fun…..cowboys and John Wayne. To varied? Conclusion: Pilgrims?
- Friend have I not seen this somewhere else on the internet, book/face???
- Companion an image of a scented, genteel Victorian lady reaching for her smelling salts, pops to mind
- Buddy what an annoying uncle calls a disinterested teenager
- Chum not the pedigree variety, but we are getting somewhere now ***
Comrade, supportera bit to political alliessame as above, we are not at war
- Playmate does anyone else find this as funny as I do?
- Well wisher mmmmm reminds me of hospitals??? Undecided
(***For visitors outside the UK, Pedigree Chum is a good quality dog food. Do not let this sway you in a negative way. “Chums” is a good alternative term and at least it implies you have good teeth, healthy bones and shiny hair.)
As I think it is important you get a choice on what to be called, I have added a poll for you to complete. Let the games begin. Come on, chums!!!!!